Leon Kaloostian - Circa 1920
In 1894, at the age of 15, Peter S. Kaloostian emigrated to the United States from Armenia. After working as a government interpreter and market proprietor, in 1913 he began a business specializing in peanuts and nuts. The business was founded in the Olneyville section of Providence and, in 1915, moved to the West End at its current location on Dexter and Cromwell Streets.
Peter's sons Leon and Anthony followed and soon the product line expanded to all varieties of nuts, seeds, and all natural peanut butter. Leon was an accomplished artist and designed boxes, bags, and labels with the Brown Bear and Anchor logos still used by the company today.
In the 1950's and 60's, grandsons Peter and Robert came on board and introduced trail mixes, snack items, chocolate products, and concession supplies and the new wave of automated packaging began at the company.
Today, great-granddaughters Candace, Shelley, and Ellen are continuing the family legacy. Decades of tradition and dedication have combined to ensure the dream and foresight of our founder and ancestor will carry on.